Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT April Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Physiatrist. Dr. Randy Schapiro told us on the MS Cruise a couple of weeks ago that folks are always mispronouncing it as Fizz-I-a trist when it is supposed to be Fizz-E-at-wrist. I keep looking at the word and still want to pronounce it the first way.

    Comment


      Thanks Cherie, but I bet most lay people would understand Fizz-I-a-trist far better than they would the correct way. I was say it the way it looks like it would sound, like you.
      Virginia

      Comment


        Dr. Shapiro said they did not want to sound like "Psychiatrist" or be mistaken for that specialty.

        Comment


          I've never known how to pronounce that word. Thanks, Cherie!

          My way out was just not to use the word in speech at all. Now I can talk about physiatrists freely.
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            Good morning. I saw the physiatrist at Spaulding a Rehab Hospital yesterday. It was my first time seeing one although I use PT whenever I think it would help.

            It was a very good experience. The appt was booked for a one hour evaluation. He asked what he could help me with. I told him about the pain in my R adductor. It runs my life, cuts short my outings, has me limiting stairs and sitting and sleeping w ice!

            He did an exam similar to a neuro exam plus checking for strength in many more areas and he does his own walking tests. What he found: I am now knock-kneed ;-( I have bursitis of knees and hips. This was very interesting. I didn't know about the knees, I thought it was arthritis, that too, he said, everybody gets arthritis! And also bursitis of both hips! I thought the fact that I couldn't sleep on either side was because of tender lumps from Copaxone. No, it's bursitis! And we can treat that. It's caused by rubbing from the knees to hips and knees to ankles being out of alignment.

            I was told to get insoles, the Dr Scholl's kind that you buy after checking your feet on one of their kiosks. He said this was very useful as a shock absorber. And he sent an RX for an anti-inflamatory gel for hips, knees and the R adductor. He sent me for hip films, wants a Vit D level (even on 5000 a day he thinks it may be too low). And he gave me a very complicated PT RX. He said he was asking a lot of them.

            After reading the PT RX, I see I need to go to a place w all kinds of modalities not just exercises. SRH outpatient would be ideal but so far away. I looked at their other outpatient settings and will call Spaulding at Cambridge. And I am looking forward to it. I highly recommend an evaluation by a physiatrist and glad I have one to follow up with as needed.

            I forgot to ask about the peddler but I'll take Mayo-Jacksonville's word via Sunshine.

            Today I have to meet a friend at the MUseum of Fine Arts for lunch and a stroll.

            Have a good day.
            ANN
            Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-26-2018, 06:13 AM.
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
              Good morning. I saw the physiatrist at Spaulding a Rehab Hospital yesterday. It was my first time seeing one although I use PT whenever I think it would help.

              It was a very good experience. The appt was booked for a one hour evaluation. He asked what he could help me with. I told him about the pain in my R adductor. It runs my life, cuts short my outings, has me limiting stairs and sitting and sleeping w ice!

              He did an exam similar to a neuro exam plus checking for strength in many more areas and he does his own walking tests. What he found: I am now knock-kneed ;-( I have bursitis of knees and hips. This was very interesting. I didn't know about the knees, I thought it was arthritis, that too, he said, everybody gets arthritis! And also bursitis of both hips! I thought the fact that I couldn't sleep on either side was because of tender lumps from Copaxone. No, it's bursitis! And we can treat that. It's caused by rubbing from the knees to hips and knees to ankles being out of alignment.

              I was told to get insoles, the Dr Scholl's kind that you buy after checking your feet on one of their kiosks. He said this was very useful as a shock absorber. And he sent an RX for an anti-inflamatory gel for hips, knees and the R adductor. He sent me for hip films, wants a Vit D level (even on 5000 a day he thinks it may be too low). And he gave me a very complicated PT RX. He said he was asking a lot of them.

              After reading the PT RX, I see I need to go to a place w all kinds of modalities not just exercises. SRH outpatient would be ideal but so far away. I looked at their other outpatient settings and will call Spaulding at Cambridge. And I am looking forward to it. I highly recommend an evaluation by a physiatrist and glad I have one to follow up with as needed.

              I forgot to ask about the peddler but I'll take Mayo-Jacksonville's word via Sunshine.

              Today I have to meet a friend at the MUseum of Fine Arts for lunch and a stroll.

              Have a good day.
              ANN
              Ann! This is incredible news! I am so excited for you, from going to hopeless det riorwtiin, tonan accurate assessment and intervention plan!

              (And thanks for the sobering reminder to us all that not everything is due to MS even when it seems like it. e.g. Bursitis, not Copaxone shots)

              Comment


                Yes and no, Sunshine. Most of this seems to be secondary to off gait and knock-knee situation, in part from week R leg.

                Not from Copaxone so those hip areas are re-opened to use for injection. Peter, who gives every other week of shots, thinks this is the best news.

                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  That is really good news, ANN, especially about restoring those injection site possibilities!

                  I'm curious about what you said about going to a place with all kinds of modalities and not just exercises. Spaulding seems to have a special section for neurological disorders including MS. It looks like a much more comprehensive organization than any of the PT places I've been to. It's really good to know that there are places that deal with MS specifically!
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    So glad it went well Ann and that you now have an in with someone as you need them. I thought you had been one time, but guess I got confused with when you visited a PT.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      The PT Rx says: iontophoresis, ultrasound, and TENS. Stretching, gait and balance training, myofascial release, thoracic spine release.

                      I don't even know what some of that is. I decided to go to one of their satellite sites that is across the river in Cambridge and not as far as the main campus in Charlestown.

                      ANN

                      Edited to add link about iontophoresis:
                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      Last edited by stillstANNding; 04-26-2018, 12:40 PM.
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        Well while Ann is reading about being electrocuted, I've been making pasta. I only cooked half a box of noodles because it only has to last one week. It's one week until payday today.

                        It was hot up in the kitchen, but it always is when making pasta. I should have started earlier, but hey, better late than never. Everyone have a great day!
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          What's in this week's sauce, Howie?

                          ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                          Comment


                            Beef again. I like it better than the ground turkey I was using for some reason. And I used the Rotini noodles. It's been simmering for awhile. English Muffins and coleslaw, with a glass of soymilk. I'm getting hungry!
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              Just got home a few minutes ago from the center for Aging and Memory. David had three hours of tests sandwiched between meeting with the two of us initially and afterwards to go over results. The good news is this does not look like early Alzheimer's. He does have some areas of atrophy but they seem to coincide with hits on the head (a frequent thing for him in and out of basements and attics). He tested in low normal to below normal on most areas of executive functioning (planning, scheduling, multi-tasking, etc). They want him to see a Neurologist who specializes in aging brains and see if some plan can be developed to help this. Meanwhile, I have set up an electronic calendar on his phone and ticked in all his appointments that are currently on the books for the next month. The neuropsychologist tells him that he needs to learn mindfulness and relaxation and that stress may be the center of a lot of this. He has always pooh poohed this recommendation when it has come from me. He also told him he needs to be more active physically and get off the computer 8 hours a day or even add some word games (again pooh poohed) to the mix of online time. So not the worst possible scenario.

                              Comment


                                This is good news, Cheri. So happy that it does not look like Alzheimer's.

                                ANN
                                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X