Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep on Moving Club: November 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #91
    I can't be taken seriously about ironing after Virginia's ironing spree but I did some ironing today. It took about 20 minutes and was just 4 tops that needed only touchup ironing. Getting out the equipment, then putting it back is half the battle when there's so little ironing. Haul the board out, open it up, haul the iron out, fill it without spilling water all over, plug it in, turn it on--then do the knockdown after finishing the ironing. I've nearly tripped sometimes just carrying or dragging the ironing board into or out of the closet.

    Once I lived in a place that had a built-in ironing board. It dropped down from behind a little door in the dining room. It was totally out of sight except when in use. It wasn't a full-size ironing board but it did quite nicely at the time.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      #92
      Agate, always try to remember to be careful. My Aunt was in her mid eighties and was ironing and she started to get more water for the iron. In the process she tripped over the cord and broke her arm. Her daughter lived with her and came home for lunch every day. She called her daughter and told her not to come that day that she was going to walk to a nearby Doctor's office that she had a broken arm. Her daughter said, Mother stay where you are I will be right there. When her daughter got there her Mother was waiting for her. Her daughter looked at her and said Mother you have your make-up on. My Aunt said I hope you don't think I am going to the Doctor without my make-up. The bone in her arm was sticking over to the side - it was down close to her wrist. By the way, my Aunt's name was Virginia.
      Virginia

      Comment


        #93
        What a story, Virginia! It sounds as if your aunt had a compound fracture. I hope that the doctor was able to treat her so that she healed up. Fractures can be risky at that age.

        I try to be careful with the iron and with all cords. I nearly fell today but it wasn't while ironing. I was doing the week's supply of pills and had dropped one on the floor. I got up to look more closely for it, moved the wheelchair a bit, and got tangled up in it the wrong way somehow and nearly went down.

        One of these days, and I don't know how long it is going to take, I'll learn always, always to have that wheel-lock/brake on. I've done this kind of thing before. You'd think I'd have learned, but no.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          #94
          Step counts:

          11/11 -1418 steps
          11/12 - 886 "
          11/13 - 1078 "
          11/14 - 993 "
          11/15 - 1348 "
          11/16 - 1409 "
          11/17 - 1574 "
          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

          Comment


            #95
            Good work, Agate.

            ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              #96
              I haven't brought this up to date but will do so soon.

              Some of us need Sunshine here egging us on. But she said it might be a few weeks before Internet access is restored.
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                #97
                Agate, you are really going-just walking, walking, walking!
                Virginia

                Comment


                  #98
                  New physical activity guidelines from the US HHS:

                  Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                  I was overjoyed by this:

                  The HHS previously said only 10-minute increments (or more) of activity counted. Now, the group says any increment counts.
                  Last edited by agate; 11-26-2018, 05:39 PM.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    #99
                    I like this too!
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by agate View Post
                      I can't be taken seriously about ironing after Virginia's ironing spree but I did some ironing today. It took about 20 minutes and was just 4 tops that needed only touchup ironing. Getting out the equipment, then putting it back is half the battle when there's so little ironing. Haul the board out, open it up, haul the iron out, fill it without spilling water all over, plug it in, turn it on--then do the knockdown after finishing the ironing. I've nearly tripped sometimes just carrying or dragging the ironing board into or out of the closet.

                      Once I lived in a place that had a built-in ironing board. It dropped down from behind a little door in the dining room. It was totally out of sight except when in use. It wasn't a full-size ironing board but it did quite nicely at the time.
                      About that ironing.....! I misplaced my iron about 30 years ago. I am still looking.
                      In the meantime, I have trained my clothes. If they come from the dryer wrinkled I give them another chance.

                      If those wrinkled clothes have not straightened out I have no mercy. Those clothes are out! They enter the pile of work clothes or I give them to organizations that find people who would like them. People who have irons.!!
                      Linda~~~~

                      Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                      Comment


                        Or people who love to iron! There really are a few people who love to iron. I found it relaxing years ago but nowadays it's a slog. When I was trying my hand at quilts, the iron was a major feature in my life.

                        Training clothes is good. I like to think I've been training mine too. I whisk them out of the dryer and onto hangers (or just hand-smooth them out) in the hopes that I'm avoiding some ironing. It does seem to work.

                        If you let them sit around for any length of time without being on hangers, they start growing wrinkles. Doesn't seem possible but I swear that's what they do.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          Hi there,,,, I am still doing my excercises, lifting the 10 pound weights, to cccold to be outside,, I need to increase, my reps,I do more around the house,,,,, I envy, you people who can vaccumn,, its not possible for me,, but I do things slowly, but it gets done
                          " Don't outsmart your common sense"

                          Peg

                          Comment


                            Good on you, Peg, for working with ten pound weights. Mine are 2 pounds. :-(

                            Peter loves to iron. I have almost nothing that needs to be ironed but Peter occasionally volunteers that he could make something crisper and I let him. He irons in the cellar with a radio on and is in his own world.
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              Ironing is kind of like exercising to me - I honestly don't like or enjoy it, but I do like the results.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                Peg, we can just do different things. There is no way I could lift a 10lb weight. I think it is amazing what you do.

                                Today I washed two loads, cleaned two glass tables, and dusted the whole house. I usually break it up into two days and do upstairs one day and down another day, but today I did all over. I did have to take a couple of breaks. Laura was here and she got on one side of my bed and helped me put clean linens on. I am glad she did because I would just be getting around to it and I am tired.

                                Laura is going on vacation after next week, so I will not have her for at least two weeks and possibly three. I dread that because I will have everything she does plus everything I do. It means I will have to mop and keep the kitchen counters clean. I will miss her.

                                Isn't it time for Sunshine to return?
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X