Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

August chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Jeanie, that is so fantastic!!! And, inspirational :)

    We had that storm too. It was unreal!
    I read an article in the paper that said lightning exploded a Florida Woman’s toilet— it struck the septic tank, ignited the methane from Feces in the tank, and the pressure blew the toilet into a thousand pieces. She was unharmed.

    Can you imagine the call from the police to next of kin, “I am sorry to inform you that your grandma was killed from an exploding toilet”— they’d hang up and think it was a crank call...only in Florida...

    Comment


      #62
      Toilets are weird. I can believe that one might explode. How terrible for the people involved!

      No word from Howie though I sent a Facebook PM this AM. He hasn't been seen here since Aug. 1.
      SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

      Comment


        #63
        I hope Howie is OK.

        I saw Mom for several hours today. She’s alert and cheerful and looks like herself. She sees both PT and Cardio Rehab people each day. Today the O2 came off and the catheter came out. She still has the IV port for iV Lasix which she needed again today. She just texted that the doctor thinks a Friday discharge is possible. That would be good as Susan leaves early Thursday and Peter arrives Friday around 9 AM.

        ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          #64
          Sounds like lots of good news here! Glad to hear it.
          I've been occupied lately learning about my father's Croatian family history. Very interesting. One of my brothers took his two young adult children to Croatia last summer. They visited the island of Vis, where my grandmother grew up and the even smaller island of Bisevo, where my grandfather was raised before immigrating to America as a young man. I wish that I had done that when I was still physically able, but sure couldn't now! My brother shared all his pictures with me. Such a beautiful part of the world that has gone through some very rough, hard times!

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by nuthatch View Post
            Sounds like lots of good news here! Glad to hear it.
            I've been occupied lately learning about my father's Croatian family history. Very interesting. One of my brothers took his two young adult children to Croatia last summer. They visited the island of Vis, where my grandmother grew up and the even smaller island of Bisevo, where my grandfather was raised before immigrating to America as a young man. I wish that I had done that when I was still physically able, but sure couldn't now! My brother shared all his pictures with me. Such a beautiful part of the world that has gone through some very rough, hard times!
            My husband’s first spoken language is Croatian. His father was born in Italy and spoke Italian and Croatian. The story is that in the distant past john’s Relatives picked up their whole town and moved it to Italy. If you travel by this Italian town today the populace is suddenly not speaking Italian but Croatian.

            The reason the town moved was related to some religious problems that pitted Muslims against Christians. The town’s name, in Italy, is acqua viva
            Linda~~~~

            Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Lazarus View Post
              My husband’s first spoken language is Croatian. His father was born in Italy and spoke Italian and Croatian. The story is that in the distant past john’s Relatives picked up their whole town and moved it to Italy. If you travel by this Italian town today the populace is suddenly not speaking Italian but Croatian.

              The reason the town moved was related to some religious problems that pitted Muslims against Christians. The town’s name, in Italy, is acqua viva
              I looked it up on Wikipedia and found this:

              “
              Acquaviva Collecroce (also called Živavoda Kruč or, usually, just Kruč) is a small town and comune in the province of Campobasso, in the Molise region of southern Italy, between the Biferno and Trigno rivers.

              Acquaviva Collecroce
              Comune
              Comune di Acquaviva Collecroce
              Location of Acquaviva Collecroce
              Wikimedia | © OpenStreetMap
              Acquaviva Collecroce is located in ItalyAcquaviva CollecroceAcquaviva Collecroce
              Location of Acquaviva Collecroce in Italy
              Show map of Italy
              Show map of Molise
              Show all
              Coordinates: 41°52′N 14°45′E
              Country
              Italy
              Region
              Molise
              Province
              Campobasso (CB)
              Government
              • Mayor
              Francesco Trolio
              Area[1]
              • Total
              28.6 km2 (11.0 sq mi)
              Elevation
              425 m (1,394 ft)
              Population (2018-01-01)[2]
              • Total
              644
              • Density
              23/km2 (58/sq mi)
              Demonym(s)
              Acquavivesi
              Time zone
              UTC+1 (CET)
              • Summer (DST)
              UTC+2 (CEST)
              Postal code
              86030
              Dialing code
              0875
              Patron saint
              St. Michael Archangel
              Saint day
              29 September
              Website
              Official website
              Like the smaller towns of Montemitro and San Felice del Molise, Acquaviva Collecroce is home to a community of Molisian Croats, most of whom speak a particular Croatian dialect (known as simply na-našo or naš jezik, meaning "our language") as well as Italian. There are differences in the dialects of the three towns, but they all descend from the Shtokavian-Ikavian d“
              Linda~~~~

              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

              Comment


                #67
                I'm here, just not posting. Waiting to FINALLY get my car back. I've felt so trapped. I'm supposed to get it back by Friday. Thanks for missing me.
                "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                Albert Einstein

                Comment


                  #68
                  ((((((Hugs to All)))))) ~

                  The last time that Howie was in absentia, his computer was kaput. Does anyone have Howie's phone number? Perhaps a call would clarify where he is.

                  ANN ~

                  What a strong, brave woman your mom is! Sending many healing prayers and hope that she will be well enough to come home Friday.

                  Sunshine ~

                  "... only in Florida" ...

                  Jeanie ~

                  I'm glad that you have extra time to recover and build yourself up, so you can go to your reunion.

                  Jim is remarkably well, with improved blood work results. We are pulling out all of our coping tools as we grieve for Jonathan and Michael. We find our way every day with love, tears, and laughter.

                  Our latest update is here:

                  Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                  Thank you for your prayers. You know ours are with you too.

                  nuthatch & Lazarus ~

                  Fascinating family histories! What are the odds that you'd both have Croatian ties?

                  Sending healing prayers and love to all ~ and please check in soon everyone!

                  Love & Light,



                  Rose
                  Mom to Jon, 49, & Michael, 32, born with an undiagnosed progressive neuromuscular disease. Angel Michael received his wings in 2003. Angel Jon received his wings in 2019. In 2020, Jim, their Dad, joined them.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Howie, if I didn't know my car was sitting outside I would be having a fit. I do hope you get it back Friday.

                    Nuthatch such an interesting family background you have. I am sure that having a relative as close as a Grandfather would make you want to know all that you can about that side of your family. Glad you got pictures from your brother.

                    Linda, being married to someone with that kind of history would really be interesting. Do you speak his language?

                    Ann, sounds like things are rolling along in the right direction for your Mom. I do hope it continues that way.
                    Virginia

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Struggling with itching and burning on my face. I had stopped my Gabapentin in the morning and at noon. So finally Sunday night I stopped the night one. I had a very bad night and I am only on 100mg capsules. Monday night was better, but last night was really bad. Woke up with scratches down the left side of my face and even over the eyebrow on my right side. It is driving me crazy. So I think I will go back on one tonight and try to get off it again at a later time. My face has burned and itched all day.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Virginia, sorry you've been plagued by itching. It must be miserable.

                        Rose, I have Howie's phone number but hesitate to call because (a) he usually has his phone turned off and has asked people not to call, (b) I'm still getting used to calling people on these new phones and have gummed things up pretty badly, calling people I didn't mean to call, etc., and (c) I just hesitate to call anyone--it's always an intrusion into their lives, and if their lives are particularly troubling just then, I would have really disturbed them. Howie might consider calling me or any of the other hens around here just to let people know he's alive, though...

                        Howie, I know the trapped feeling even though I'm carless.

                        Today I had an appointment at the diabetic footwear place. Armed with the doctor's rx and other necessary items, I managed to turn up there in spite of the power washing/painting project going on in this building but was wondering about whether I was going to be trapped here.

                        The parking lot is clearly occupied by all of the special equipment being used for this project, and we've been warned about the lack of space. In the past when there was work being done I cancelled all appointments until the work was over but this time I couldn't. In the past this meant going nowhere for a month or more in summer, but since it's summer and apt to be hot, I wasn't inclined to go very many places.

                        The situation with diabetic footwear is very involved, and it sounded as if I absolutely had to take care of it now.

                        I had my ride lined up but as I was about to head out to the main lobby, the driver called to tell me the entrance was blocked. I assured him that I'd find him somehow, and hightailed it out there--to find that the entrance was very much blocked, with orange cones and chairs in front of it. I could see the van out there, waiting for me.

                        I would have used another entrance (we have 7 to choose from but not all have automatic doors) but thought it best to ask the manager which one I should use. I thought she'd just tell me which way to go and I'd head to that entrance. Instead she moved the barriers and let me go through the front door, and the workers even moved the equipment that was blocking the entrance outside.

                        I felt so relieved to be on that van that when I got to the foot orthotics place and found a beautiful nature photo on the wall in the examining room, I even told the woman who was taking care of me how nice it was.

                        It was like a breath of fresh air after several days of being in my apartment with the windows shut and the blinds closed. It was a photo with flowers in the foreground, and a scene with a mountain and a lake beyond them.

                        I came back in another van, and this time the workers were again very helpful, and the driver just shoved the chairs blocking the door aside temporarily.

                        The weather was very cooperative too. It was only about 70' all day.

                        Feeling cooped up when you want to be out somewhere is dreary. Hope your car will be restored to you soon.
                        Last edited by agate; 08-07-2019, 09:34 PM.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Such interesting family posts.
                          Glad Howie is okay.
                          Glad Agate found a way out of her building
                          Virginia, that sounds miserable. Hoping restarting the neurotin will help.
                          Hello Rose..I read your post(s)...grief comes in waves, sometimes it knocks you down, other times it gently rolls through you. Your love has brought love back to you a thousand fold...
                          ANN you are indefatigable ...
                          Last edited by Sunshine; 08-08-2019, 06:44 AM.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            My sister just called, and will be here at 9am to pick me up, and go get my car. What a relief!!! Then I have to go to the store, and get restocked. Start living again.
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Howie, I am really glad to hear you will be able to get out and live a little.
                              Last edited by Moderator #2; 08-16-2019, 05:17 AM.

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Agate, I hope you can use your windows and patio soon.

                                Virginia, I hope you are more comfortable today.

                                Susan left early this AM and I went to the hospital at 11 AM. I took clothes for Mom as she called to tell me she was being discharged. I waited there for 4 hours. I found out that they have gotten 16 liters out of Mom (pee) since she returned to the hospital. Also, Mom keeps telling them she is short of breath on exertion but her O2 is above 90. So today they did a walking test and on exertion her O2 drops to 70! They cancelled her discharge. Here we go again. Glad I did not bring her home.

                                Peter arrives about 9:30 AM.

                                ANN
                                Last edited by Moderator #2; 08-16-2019, 05:17 AM.
                                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X