As a shipboard navigator I was involved in "beta testing" a system called SatNav (satellite navigation). Now we all call it GPS and many people use it daily.
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.
Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!
Collapse
X
-
"Don't encourage him / Now he'll never stop..."
Wellllll...since it's just you and I in the thread now...Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostOh, but don’t! I was just getting to know you.
Was there a garden to go with the chickens?
ANN
My wife has always been an avid gardener but every year she says that arthritis is bringing to an end her gardening days. I have what I call a brown thumb. We have a large rural yard and years ago obtained an old rear tine tiller:
I built a big ol' "hoop house" five or six years ago. This really ramped up production of tomatoes and peppers in our cool, northern climate. She has planted many, many fruit trees around the property (apples, cherries, peaches, nectarines, plumbs) as well as blueberry bushes and strawberries.
Additionally, she not I, has grown : potatoes, squash, corn, green beans (both bush and runner), asparagus, artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. Ah, the bounty of nature...
I have gained a pound for each of the years that we have been married due to both her gardening and cooking skills. Thankfully we did not meet until we were in our early forties or I would have a more serious weight problem than I do!
I mean...yes, yes we have a garden.*another random thought *
Comment
-
Oh ! You'd like that wouldn't you??? *mutters about the expense of materials*Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostA cattle panel hoop house? (Asked wistfully)
ANN
Nah, a rebar stake base with seven 18 foot inch and a half pvc conduit hoops (painted to stop outgassing) covered in UV resistant Green-house plastic with the anti-drip interior coating! Twenty-four feet long, ten foot wide at the base, it stands seven feet high.
On this fine winter day it stands, having recently shed the weight of a minor snowfall, full of weeds and dreams of spring mornings gone by...*another random thought *
Comment
-
They are so cute when they are newborn !
P1030584.jpg
P1030597.jpg
P1030594.jpg
Hello Parsi, nice to see you still around :)*another random thought *
Comment
-
Brian, now you've done it with the pictures. Ann will want every detail of the construction. She has her own little backyard farm, which she and Peter eat out of all summer. It just crashed in due to too much snow on the top, so now she will build back. She might want your help when she sees your pictures.Virginia
Comment
-
I am just plain jealous. I love the detail! I did get my low tunnel cleared of snow and it popped up a little and I can see kale in there. It’s going to be 50 tomorrow so I look forward to seeing what I can do to repair it.Originally posted by Virginia View PostBrian, now you've done it with the pictures. Ann will want every detail of the construction. She has her own little backyard farm, which she and Peter eat out of all summer. It just crashed in due to too much snow on the top, so now she will build back. She might want your help when she sees your pictures.
ANNThere comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK
Comment
-
My hoop house came back from this crushing snow a couple years ago. I did add a central support after this event a making it a little more difficult to drive a lawntractor in there! I bet you get yours up again too. Do you have any chickens to go with your garden?Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostI am just plain jealous. I love the detail! I did get my low tunnel cleared of snow and it popped up a little and I can see kale in there. It’s going to be 50 tomorrow so I look forward to seeing what I can do to repair it.
ANN
20190216_093829.jpg
It's not the right time of year for this but I still have the instructions I (mostly) followed:
Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...Last edited by RandomThought; 12-23-2020, 03:19 PM.*another random thought *
Comment
-
And anyway, there are whole flocks of clucking hens right here.Originally posted by stillstANNding View PostNo, chickens here only because there is an ordinance against them in the city.
Thanks for the plans.
ANNSPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.
Comment
-
My favorite ever cat came to me when I was not in the market for a cat. Sitting outside my door mewing pitifully for 24 hrs on a cold, rainy Christmas day 1983 ; I finally let the stupid kitten in and fed it.
He was an excellent companion for 18 years and I keep a picture of him in front of me on my desk to this day.Last edited by RandomThought; 12-24-2020, 06:07 AM.*another random thought *
Comment

Comment