Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entirely Offtopic: Amazing Facts About and Experiences Of Me!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    As a shipboard navigator I was involved in "beta testing" a system called SatNav (satellite navigation). Now we all call it GPS and many people use it daily.
    *another random thought *

    Comment


      #47
      I am capable of shutting up about myself.
      *another random thought *

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by RandomThought View Post
        I am capable of shutting up about myself.
        Oh, but don’t! I was just getting to know you.

        Was there a garden to go with the chickens?

        ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          #49
          "Don't encourage him / Now he'll never stop..."

          Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
          Oh, but don’t! I was just getting to know you.

          Was there a garden to go with the chickens?

          ANN
          Wellllll...since it's just you and I in the thread now...

          My wife has always been an avid gardener but every year she says that arthritis is bringing to an end her gardening days. I have what I call a brown thumb. We have a large rural yard and years ago obtained an old rear tine tiller:

          I built a big ol' "hoop house" five or six years ago. This really ramped up production of tomatoes and peppers in our cool, northern climate. She has planted many, many fruit trees around the property (apples, cherries, peaches, nectarines, plumbs) as well as blueberry bushes and strawberries.

          Additionally, she not I, has grown : potatoes, squash, corn, green beans (both bush and runner), asparagus, artichokes, broccoli, cauliflower, and brussel sprouts. Ah, the bounty of nature...

          I have gained a pound for each of the years that we have been married due to both her gardening and cooking skills. Thankfully we did not meet until we were in our early forties or I would have a more serious weight problem than I do!

          I mean...yes, yes we have a garden.
          Last edited by RandomThought; 12-23-2020, 11:34 AM. Reason: typo
          *another random thought *

          Comment


            #50
            A cattle panel hoop house? (Asked wistfully)

            ANN
            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

            Comment


              #51
              Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
              A cattle panel hoop house? (Asked wistfully)

              ANN
              Oh ! You'd like that wouldn't you??? *mutters about the expense of materials*

              Nah, a rebar stake base with seven 18 foot inch and a half pvc conduit hoops (painted to stop outgassing) covered in UV resistant Green-house plastic with the anti-drip interior coating! Twenty-four feet long, ten foot wide at the base, it stands seven feet high.

              On this fine winter day it stands, having recently shed the weight of a minor snowfall, full of weeds and dreams of spring mornings gone by...
              Last edited by RandomThought; 12-23-2020, 12:32 PM. Reason: correcting construction details
              *another random thought *

              Comment


                #52
                They are so cute when they are newborn !

                P1030584.jpg

                P1030597.jpg

                P1030594.jpg



                Hello Parsi, nice to see you still around :)
                Last edited by RandomThought; 12-23-2020, 12:49 PM. Reason: greetings
                *another random thought *

                Comment


                  #53
                  Brian, now you've done it with the pictures. Ann will want every detail of the construction. She has her own little backyard farm, which she and Peter eat out of all summer. It just crashed in due to too much snow on the top, so now she will build back. She might want your help when she sees your pictures.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Originally posted by Virginia View Post
                    Brian, now you've done it with the pictures. Ann will want every detail of the construction. She has her own little backyard farm, which she and Peter eat out of all summer. It just crashed in due to too much snow on the top, so now she will build back. She might want your help when she sees your pictures.
                    I am just plain jealous. I love the detail! I did get my low tunnel cleared of snow and it popped up a little and I can see kale in there. It’s going to be 50 tomorrow so I look forward to seeing what I can do to repair it.

                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
                      I am just plain jealous. I love the detail! I did get my low tunnel cleared of snow and it popped up a little and I can see kale in there. It’s going to be 50 tomorrow so I look forward to seeing what I can do to repair it.

                      ANN
                      My hoop house came back from this crushing snow a couple years ago. I did add a central support after this event a making it a little more difficult to drive a lawntractor in there! I bet you get yours up again too. Do you have any chickens to go with your garden?

                      20190216_093829.jpg

                      It's not the right time of year for this but I still have the instructions I (mostly) followed:

                      Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
                      Last edited by RandomThought; 12-23-2020, 03:19 PM.
                      *another random thought *

                      Comment


                        #56
                        No, chickens here only because there is an ordinance against them in the city.

                        Thanks for the plans.

                        ANN
                        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
                          No, chickens here only because there is an ordinance against them in the city.

                          Thanks for the plans.

                          ANN
                          And anyway, there are whole flocks of clucking hens right here.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            #58
                            Originally posted by agate View Post
                            And anyway, there are whole flocks of clucking hens right here.
                            I can sure attest to that!
                            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                            Albert Einstein

                            Comment


                              #59
                              I am all but blind in one eye which sometimes makes driving seem more like an action movie !
                              *another random thought *

                              Comment


                                #60
                                My favorite ever cat came to me when I was not in the market for a cat. Sitting outside my door mewing pitifully for 24 hrs on a cold, rainy Christmas day 1983 ; I finally let the stupid kitten in and fed it.

                                He was an excellent companion for 18 years and I keep a picture of him in front of me on my desk to this day.
                                Last edited by RandomThought; 12-24-2020, 06:07 AM.
                                *another random thought *

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X