Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Book Club: What are you reading?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I have restarted Holy Ghost by John Sandford: A Virgil Flowers detective book. Not as good as his others, but still decent. I had tried to read it months ago, and couldn’t get into it: I think I was too spacey with all the high dose meds at the time to concentrate.

    Its about a tiny dying town where Mary is seen in the Church. This goes viral since some got it on their cell phones. The town is hopping now with business. SUddenly people are getting shot, one person at a time, 4 different days.

    Virgil has to figure out what is going on. Lots of conflicting evidence of course. If you like Virgil FLowers, you will like the book, but not nearly as entertaining as his other Flowers books.

    Comment


      I read band liked the journey of sea women. I recently read ‘The Red Garden’ by Alice Hoffman. I really enjoyed it. Years ago I had read something by Alice Hoffman and found it too wordy. That was not the case.
      Be the person your dog thinks you are

      Comment


        Originally posted by ssusan View Post
        I read band liked the journey of sea women. I recently read ‘The Red Garden’ by Alice Hoffman. I really enjoyed it. Years ago I had read something by Alice Hoffman and found it too wordy. That was not the case.
        I have been like Virginia and need to force myself to read or at least listen to the books I bought through audible! .my eyes are not behaving and my brain keeps veering off the roadway when I am listening to a book. Maybe with more rest or a week without a crisis!
        Linda~~~~

        Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

        Comment


          I started a book late yesterday evening after going to eat and stopping at grocery store. Stayed up way too late and felt bad today, but finished book.

          Turned out to be very good. It is not a very thick book, but I felt it had some good life lessons. The name is The Time Keeper by Mitch Album. He also wrote Tuesday’s with Morrie. I had read that and I saw the movie.

          The Time Keeper is about the man who
          started measuring things which led to keeping time and everything that happened to him after that along with a man in his 80s who doesn’t have long to live and wants to be frozen in order to get more time and a young girl who doesn’t want to live. Their lives become intertwined. Very interesting book.
          Virginia

          Comment


            I just read (audio) Ann Patchett’s The Dutch House. I liked it a lot. It is well written and a compelling story of two siblings and their relationship through several decades. A side note -Tom Hanks is the reader. Delightful.
            Last edited by ssusan; 10-27-2019, 06:41 PM.
            Be the person your dog thinks you are

            Comment


              Originally posted by ssusan View Post
              I just read (audio) Ann Patchett’s The Dutch House. I liked it a lot. It is well written and a compelling story of two siblings and their relationship through several decades. A side note -Tom Hanks is the reader. Delightful.
              I loved Bel Canto. Based on your review, I must put The Dutch House on my list — 3 ahead of it :) only.

              Comment


                I loved Bel Canto, too. Mom and I still talk about it and I have Dutch House on her Christmas list.

                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  I loved Bel Canto and will put Dutch House on my list.

                  Got another one just yesterday. I have not started it yet, but will sometime this week. The name of this book is "Brain on Fire". It was a number one best seller several years ago and I never got around to it. I will let you know how I feel about it when I read it.

                  Right now I am reading another civil war book that is in a series that I am reading. I will then read Brain on Fire and then probably go back to the series.
                  Virginia

                  Comment


                    Brain on Fire is an incredible read. Hold onto your seat....

                    Comment


                      I have, Brain on Fire. It hasn’t made it to the top of my pile yet.

                      ANN
                      There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                      Comment


                        Finished Brain on Fire yesterday and Sunshine it really is an incredible read. I don't want to go into too much detail because I know Ann is planning to read it. Ann, try not to let it get too far down the list.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          My last finished book was something like "When the crawdads sing" (I don't remember exact title) and I was reading it in the doctor's office. My NP asked what I was reading and was delighted - that's on her list - she's waiting for it. I promised and took the finished copy to the office.
                          Now I'm almost finished with "Before and Again". I am not impressed. Waiting for next is "The story of Arthur Truluv" by Elizabeth Berg.
                          I love reading -- I don't know what I'd do without it.

                          Comment


                            Jingle, that book is also in my pile. My mom reads must faster that I do.

                            ANN
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment


                              Jingle I loved Where the Crawdads Sing. So good of you to pass it on to your NP. I am sure she will be glad you did.
                              Virginia

                              Comment


                                This is the book I have started. Love it.
                                “ The Overstory," a novel by Richard Powers about trees, activism, and our connection to the natural world. “The Overstory” was shortlisted for the 2018 Man Booker Prize and won the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. It is Powers' 12th book.

                                In The New York Times Book Review, author Barbara Kingsolver calls it “a delightfully choreographed, ultimately breathtaking hoodwink” that seems to be a book about people but is actually about trees — and reimagines how we relate to them. At the end of November, Powers will join us on the PBS NewsHour to answer reader questions about the book. We hope you'll join us and read along.”
                                Linda~~~~

                                Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X