Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keep on Moving Club: November 2018

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by stillstANNding View Post
    Sit to Stand (no hands):

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    The sit-to-stand is supposed to be one of the very best exercises a person who isn't getting any younger can do. I've noticed that whether I can do this depends on a lot on where I'm sitting. I was trying to do the exercise with my arms and hands at my sides-- impossible. But when done the way the guy in the video does it--with his hands clasped in front of his chest--it's much easier.

    Thank you for posting this very useful video, ANN.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      Thanks for the additions, ANN and agate. I don't have a ball, so I'll try the other one.

      Howie, that is definitely not the way any of us want to get exercise! Hope you aren't too sore. The reason we are doing many of these is to maintain leg and core strength to be able to get up if we're down!
      Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

      Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

      Comment


        I do 10 of those 20 glute bridges with the ball every day. The PT I had called them pelvic lifts.
        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

        Comment


          Virginia, the PT corrected me when I said I was familiar with glute bridges from yoga. They are not the same. The yoga one works legs, spine and neck. See here:

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

          Pelvic Tilt is also different than a glute bridge. It does work the abdominals, though, and is a good exercise:

          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

          ANN
          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

          Comment


            Thanks for everyone's concern, but I'm not as sore as I thought I would be. It really hurt when I did it though. I will slow down.
            "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

            Albert Einstein

            Comment


              What I'm doing is a pelvic lift, not a pelvic tilt. I think it's pretty much the same exercise as a glute bridge?

              Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...
              SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

              Comment


                Looks good, Agate!

                ANN
                There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                Comment


                  Um, I should mention that I don't look anything like the person in the video when I do this exercise.

                  In fact, towards the end of my last PT course, the PT had me demonstrate this exercise for her, and then she said, "Is that really as high as you can lift?" It was. But I keep trying.
                  SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                  Comment


                    Every time I got up off the couch today, I did a sit-to-stand. And although I called a car to go to my hair appointment, I walked home.

                    ANN
                    There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                    Comment


                      Great going Ann! A way to work it in for sure.

                      I had planned to do the sit-to-stand and the bridge today, however below is an account of my day:

                      Washed and did hair and make up and made bed, got dressed.

                      At 2:30 I left home to do errands, got as far as car and had to come back because I forgot something.
                      Left again and got a little further and realized I had forgotten my bag that keeps my frozen foods from thawing - came back again
                      Left again (by this time it was 3:00). Got all the way to bank and was sitting at drive-in window, reached for a check to get it cashed and could not find it.
                      Came all the way back home and found it laying inside. Left and went back to bank.
                      Went to Fresh Market to get a small Southern Supreme Fruit Cake. They didn't have it.
                      Went to Walgreens and shopped. As I was checking out I looked at clock and it was exactly 4P.M.
                      Went a couple of blocks to Harris Teeter. Shopped and then put groceries in car. It was 5:10P.M.
                      Went to Whole Foods to get salad for supper and also found the fruit cake.
                      Came home and by loading myself down was able to make it from car all the way down walkway and in house 3 times to unload car. Last trip I was staggering a little.
                      Put groceries away and set down to eat supper at 6:40.

                      When I first left at 2:30 I had thought I would be back by 4:30 to 5:00.

                      That was my exercise for the day.
                      Virginia

                      Comment


                        Virginia, I got tired just from reading all you did today. Now get some down time to reenergize.
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          Virginia, your day sounds frustrating. To put it mildly!

                          All of the backtracking and looking for lost items (and picking up dropped items) takes time and energy. I can keep on an even keel better if I have plenty of time and (this is important) not too many details to keep track of.

                          You definitely should rest up after a day like that.
                          SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                          Comment


                            Virginia, you can have chocolate for your exhausting work today but why would you want it? You have fruit cake! I send my Mom one from an abbey. It has a lot of brandy in it!

                            ANN
                            Last edited by stillstANNding; 11-30-2018, 06:26 PM.
                            There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X