Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT October Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Cat Dancer View Post
    Most of the time we ask around the neighborhood to see who has had work done, then ask the neighbor if they'd recommend the contractor. We also have our favorite neighborhood bar -- we've been going there for the 20 years we've lived there, know a lot of the people (who live in our area, if not in our immediate neighborhood), and they also have a bulletin board of various business cards of local businesses. The guy who owns the bar is a native of our area, goes back 3 generations, and so knows a lot of people, too. I do research on the internet too, by typing in the company name and the word "reviews" and often get to web sites where the reviews exist, both good and bad.

    Right now I've got 3 companies bidding. One has submitted an estimate, the other two haven't as yet, but I know they're pending. I hope to get those in by the weekend, and get work started next week.
    Sounds as if this matter is being thoroughly taken care of, and I suppose you'll have chaos for a while as the work proceeds but the results should be worth it!

    You know about Thumbtack.com? I used them briefly when I was looking for someone who could set up this computer. As it turned out I didn't choose any of the people they promptly referred me to but I was impressed by the way the place operated and noticed that they have contractors for home alterations, etc., as well.
    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

    Comment


      Jeanie, I've been in sleep mode all day. The big difference is I never do anything to be tired about. But you are always doing things, and now the added stress of problems with your van.

      Have you ever thought of just getting a new van. Can you afford one? It would be nice to not have to worry about IF it is going to be right time, and how long will it last.

      My PT Cruiser was bought new in 2005, and now has 24,000 miles on it. Unlike you, I never go anywhere, but when I do, it's nice to know it's there, and will get me where I'm going.

      I hope you get your transportation problem worked out soon.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        :)Howie I cannot afford a new one even a used one. I have to keep this one for the rest of my life. When that man ran into me last year I had a rental brand new ramp van and I would not take it over mine.

        Anew one is over 60000 dollars. Mine only has 126000 miles on it. I have it serviced regularly andpray it lasts. Jeanie :)

        Comment


          Then you are doing all you can do. I take mine in and get it serviced and inspected each year. Like you, I need it to last me the rest of my life. I hope they can get everything fixed for you.
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            Jeanie, your van has "only" 126,000 miles? That sounds like a lot but maybe things have changed and people routinely expect to get that much mileage out of a vehicle?
            Last edited by agate; 10-27-2016, 09:01 PM.
            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

            Comment


              It's morning. WAKE UP HOWIE!!!


              Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

              Comment


                Virginia, indeed 126,000 miles on a vehicle isn't much, assuming the owners have kept up with basic maintenance and the vehicle hasn't been in a major wreck! When I was growing up, 50, 60,000 miles was a lot and people were ready to trade them in. Now 250,000 or more isn't all that unusual.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by agate View Post
                  Dr. Howie is in conference. He has to confer with his cats. If anyone wants to make a dental appointment, please call back some other time.

                  Howie, do you do root canals?
                  he needs a CAT scan!
                  Love, Sally


                  "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Uppitycats View Post
                    Virginia, indeed 126,000 miles on a vehicle isn't much, assuming the owners have kept up with basic maintenance and the vehicle hasn't been in a major wreck! When I was growing up, 50, 60,000 miles was a lot and people were ready to trade them in. Now 250,000 or more isn't all that unusual.
                    I'm so woefully behind the times that it's pathetic. When I was a kid we had a Chevrolet that we had for 11 years. In 1953 I recall how we all watched the odometer reach 100,000 and we were celebrating and congratulating the car, who was named Nellie.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      Things have definitely changed in how long cars will last these days. Hitting 100,000 miles is nothing these days. It used to be if you had hit 100,000, you were lucky, and if you wanted to keep the car, it would eventually have to be rebuilt if certain things hadn't been already.

                      I'm JUST getting up at 4pm. But I stay up late to watch Sea Hunt, and it was coming in so bad (antenna man) I gave up and went to bed.
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        TV usually doesn't seem worth watching if I have to go through lots of maneuvers with the antenna and the remote buttons just to get a picture or sound or both. That must be one reason why I'm getting only PBS nowadays and not minding much at all that other channels aren't available.

                        Many programs are streamed on the Internet anyway.

                        Today I potted the cuttings that I had brought in from some of the patio plants. Now they can be seen through the winter indoors and I hope can go onto the patio in the spring.

                        For once I did this job without getting wiped out. I took a rest break a couple of times and made sure that the whole day was free of most other obligations.

                        I did have one nuisance phone call, a robocall. At first it sounded like a real person. A woman's voice said my name and seemed to wait for me to reply, and then there was a pause, and she said, "Oops! I'm having a bit of trouble with my headset here" and went on talking. When I couldn't interrupt her I knew it was a recording.

                        I reported it to DoNotCall.gov. The caller ID said "Customer Service" with no other identifying information but the phone number was local. At least I was able to snag the phone number.

                        I was right in the middle of this job and really hated having to go to the phone and answer it.

                        Some good news: All of my lab test results at the doctor's came out normal, with the HbA1C at 5.1, which is good (a test of diabetes control), BP at 117/80, and fecal occult blood test was OK too. Now it's on to the mammogram. And I don't have to go back to the dentist for another 6 months because there was nothing wrong.

                        Truly I'm very fortunate. Having so much dental work in recent years (several extractions, root canals, crowns, etc.) made me think it was just going to go on and on but maybe not. Maybe the remaining teeth will hold up.

                        The dental hygienist told me that people who chew gum really strengthen their jaw muscles. I haven't chewed gum in many years and won't take it up again as it was making me tired.
                        SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                        Comment


                          Well that's bad dental news. It means you won't have any teeth for me to pull. And Sam will forget how to clean those pliers before I use them. And that's extra bad news, you could get a cat hair stuck in your teeth!

                          Well I have a simple request. I'm looking for a SIMPLE, online monthly calendar.

                          That's the only thing I lost in the big cyber attack, and don't like the one I replaced it with. Help a poor handicapped man know what day it is.

                          .................................................. ..........

                          Never mind, I just fixed it and got my old one back. Sometimes I'm so good, it hurts!
                          Last edited by Howie; 10-28-2016, 06:27 PM.
                          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                          Albert Einstein

                          Comment


                            :) I took the van to the mobility place at 8 AM. (Very early for me.) Andy came at 10 and brought me home. I called at three and they said they had put the $1500 part in but they could not make the van kneel. If they removed the part the ramp goes out and the door closes and opens. I told them I am happy with it that way.

                            Well they decided take the part off and to refund my $600 deposit and not charge me at all. I said I felt I should pay some labor as they had made it work when it would not and he asked how much labor and I said the 2 hours they had originally quoted me. He said no just pay one hour. So I wound up paying $116.60. instead of $1500 and labor.

                            That was an answer to prayer. I am so glad to have it working again. My Visa bill will be a lot smaller than I thought it would be. That is a relief as I was trying to figure out how to pay it.

                            My Lacy has started coming into the computer room and standing on her hind legs and begging to get in my lap. She stays there for several hours. I think she is finally realizes I am not going to hurt her. I do think she was abused before.

                            Everyone have a good weekend and a Happy Halloween. Jeanie :)

                            Comment


                              That's great news Jeanie. Stay with those people, they sound honest. They could have gotten the big money by lying about it, but they didn't. I'm glad you're mobile with no worries again!
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment


                                Yes, Jeanie, sounds like you need to stay with them by all means.

                                As far as work on the house goes it is difficult - I do sometimes check Angie's List. Sometimes they have a coupon for things you might want done. If I don't like the ones I choose I just don't use them. If they come out and are going to charge more than I think is fair I just do not use them. However, you can always give them a review, either good or bad.
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X