Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT December Chit Chat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Here's one difference between men and women. When I've had clothing for a year, I feel like it's just getting broken in. Clothes are not high on my list of important things.

    Right now, I have one pair of pants a pair of Duluth jeans, about 10 printed Tee-shirts, 1 pair of shoes, and one coat. I'll wear those until they get holes that can be seen, then replace them. Simple living, but perfect for me.
    Last edited by Howie; 12-20-2017, 06:22 PM.
    "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

    Albert Einstein

    Comment


      Howie, that is simplifying your life for sure, but I still go out to eat some and need a certain amount of things. I went back and got 5 or 6 more blouses off bottom rack that were in very good shape but too little, two sweat suits in perfect shape, also too little and so far 8 pair of shoes. The shoes are all in style, but some had about 1/4 inch heel too high and some I cannot wear because my feet have started swelling so bad. There are some others that I cannot wear because of same reason, but I will not give them away until I find out exactly which ones they are. I also found two pocketbooks that I needed to get rid of. One was a Coach, but it zipped and I can not zip it easily enough.

      Vicky, I always give my things to charity. I had thought I would like to give them to someone who can get them to Porta Rica, but then I thought about it and I don't think they are things that the people there would like. A few silk blouses and they need to be cleaned when they get dirty and lots of cotton blouses with long sleeves which I starch and iron. Everything is clean, but I do not feel up to going through the hazel of going to a thrift store where I could get any cash. My maid will take them, but I have given her so much. I have given her a lot of clothes. She can't wear them, but she takes them to her church and she says the people just grab them up. I have also given her area rugs and a coffee table. It is a way to get them out of the house. We have a community yard sale once a year, but I would have to do something with them until that comes up and I am not in shape to go out and set anything up or stay out there and try to sell it. So I guess it is back to Laura the maid. The thing is she doesn't even say thank you.
      Virginia

      Comment


        Good morning everyone!

        Because I've gotten a new pair of shoes from my sister, I finally threw out the infamous pair that one disappeared for a while. I took them to the dump, and bid them a fond fair well. I got many miles out of them, and remember buying them with my brother. Thanks for the memories shoes.
        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

        Albert Einstein

        Comment


          :) Virginia here in West Palm Beach the Salvation Army has a drive up back door and they come to your car and take your stuff.
          Also they use most of the money to help people. Their CEO only gets $13,000.00 a year.

          I went to get my hair done and to the grocery to get fruit for the stockings. I had already bought the candy and nuts and canes. Tomorrow we will go to diner at 4 and then here for stockings and pie and egg nog.

          Saturday no plan. Sunday Andy and I will go to the 4 PM service at Jim's church. Christmas Day Carla is having us for brunch at 11. For all of you celebrating Christmas I hope you have a blessed Christmas. Jeanie :)


          Comment


            I'm sort of like Howie, although not quite as extreme: If I don't wear something in a year, out it goes. My maid takes stuff to the local thrift shop for me (I don't get anything for it except more room in my closet, or drawers, or whatever). I tell her that if there's anything in there she wants, feel free to take it before it gets to the store. I don't know what she takes or doesn't take....once it passes through the door on the way out, it's gone. I live mostly in jeans and t-shirts, some long sleeved for winter. When I lost so much weight early on in this last bout of terrible health, I bought new clothes...which then no longer fit, as I gained back a bunch of weight, so those clothes, relatively new and unworn, went out the door. Then just a couple of weeks ago another box full went. This time, though, Amazon has this deal with Goodwill: Pack stuff in an Amazon box, weight it, tell Amazon how much it weighs, and you get a postage paid cover sheet, free. And a form to fill out to have the postal delivery person pick it up from your house. It goes to a Goodwill somewhere, and they'll send you a receipt if you need it, for your taxes. We don't have a local church affiliation, or I'd send it there....
            ...I am not a doctor nor medical professional, and don't pretend to be one, here... :o

            Comment


              Originally posted by Cat Dancer View Post
              I'm sort of like Howie, although not quite as extreme: If I don't wear something in a year, out it goes. My maid takes stuff to the local thrift shop for me (I don't get anything for it except more room in my closet, or drawers, or whatever). I tell her that if there's anything in there she wants, feel free to take it before it gets to the store. I don't know what she takes or doesn't take....once it passes through the door on the way out, it's gone. I live mostly in jeans and t-shirts, some long sleeved for winter. When I lost so much weight early on in this last bout of terrible health, I bought new clothes...which then no longer fit, as I gained back a bunch of weight, so those clothes, relatively new and unworn, went out the door. Then just a couple of weeks ago another box full went. This time, though, Amazon has this deal with Goodwill: Pack stuff in an Amazon box, weight it, tell Amazon how much it weighs, and you get a postage paid cover sheet, free. And a form to fill out to have the postal delivery person pick it up from your house. It goes to a Goodwill somewhere, and they'll send you a receipt if you need it, for your taxes. We don't have a local church affiliation, or I'd send it there....
              That is great information about Amazon and Goodwill. Thanks!
              Linda~~~~

              Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

              Comment


                I hang onto clothes because replacing them via online shopping is pretty difficult but I try to get really durable clothes that last forever. I have 2 pairs of shoes and 2 handbags and one coat, no more dresses or skirts.

                Major PC problems here. Alas, System Restore no longer bailed me out. I've been on the phone with Dell for nearly 2 hours now and the PC is being reset. It's at 90% now. I hope this works.
                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                Comment


                  Well, I know the world is a mess but the inside of my house is being painted! It has been 20 years and remember, this is a farm house! I�� Am so damn happy. And I even selected colors (we always had everything ivory white) and at least one of the colors is perfect. I expect the other will be also.But just looking at the walls makes me happy. The painter used joint compound to eliminate all the ceiling cracks. and everything is clean! Cow webs are gone. Dust balls are gone.

                  Sure, all the paintings on the walls and all the furniture are pushed into the middle of the rooms. But, again I am so happy. My house will look great and be neat and paint will last for my lifetime.

                  One color is a light willow which is a very light green...like a light mint. The other is a blush. Also light with a touch of color.
                  Thanks for giving me a place to say all this.
                  Linda~~~~

                  Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says:"Oh Crap, She's up!"..

                  Comment


                    I think I know how you feel,Linda, and I hope to know that feeling tomorrow when the clean curtains are due to be back here and even hung up by someone tall enough.
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      Well Agate, how is your computer now?
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        Linda that is great about the painting. I think that and having it clean and shining is a big lift.

                        Agate, I feel the same about your curtains. It is just a little something to look forward to.

                        Howie, even I am sorry to see those shoes go - WE had such a problem finding them when they went missing.

                        Agate, I hope your computer problems are solved, and if not now very soon. That is something that I do not handle well.

                        Good information about Amazon and Goodwill. There is a goodwill close to my house. I prefer Salvation Army because what Jeanie said is true. However, they are far away. Anyway, I have so much now that I would hate to even try to carry them to my car. I added some slacks today and about 29 sweaters if I counted right.

                        I am kind of like Ann, I have an emotional attachment to some of these things because I remember where I wore them and where I bought them and on and on. However, I had no mercy when it came to these sweaters. I gave away more than I kept. I have worn turtlenecks in the Winter for a very long time because I was working in an office and got cold. Actually, I get cold everywhere. But I just said this is ridiculous and every time I would hesitate I would put it in the give away stack. These sweaters have been growing for many years, but some are like new. When I had a weight gain I had to kind of start over. I remember a Doctor I had a number of years back. She said I always looked so nice then. She told me not to gain any weight because I would have to buy new clothes. I should have listened.
                        Virginia

                        Comment


                          That is a lot of sweaters, Virginia! Good for you.

                          I found this about how to use your old Amazon box to give a post-paid donation:
                          Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

                          ANN
                          There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

                          Comment


                            I'm actually writing this on my desktop PC even though it's with whatever that "e" thing is --Edge?--as a browser because Chrome hasn't been reinstalled yet.

                            Better luck tomorrow on getting all my data back as well as reinstalling Office.

                            I spent 5 hours on the phone with Dell today as the computer was "reset," reinstalling Windows 10. I have no idea what went wrong but it's been a long while since I've had to go through this kind of thing, and the older I get, the harder it is to put up with.

                            I'm out a wad of money but I signed up for another year of the warranty because it was cheaper than paying what it would have cost to have this fix done otherwise, but I'll go into debt up to my eyeballs to keep my PC running.

                            As a disabled older person, I'm very dependent on it.
                            SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                            Comment


                              Morning everyone!

                              Agate, you'll get all your data back. EVERYTHING on the net, and here in cyber-world, exists SOMEWHERE, the trick is to find out where. I have chrome on an 8.1 computer, and it has been flawless, but I don't have as much data saved. What are you doing, writing a book? Send me a copy when it's done.

                              My new heater is due today.
                              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                              Albert Einstein

                              Comment


                                I hope your new heater does as much for you as mine does for me, Howie. I absolutely love it and use it instead of the wall heater I'd been using for years. It's quieter and the heat seems better--more pleasant, better circulation.

                                I don't have very many files on this computer but the computer was free and is probably one of the cheapest ones on the market--that may be why the phone session took so long. Also the tech support person was (of course) not a native English speaker, and there were some bad communication problems as well. He did say that it would take about 15 minutes to reinstall Windows but that part took over an hour. He and I just waited it out.

                                I used to back up all files onto floppy disks (if anyone is old enough to remember those!). Nowadays I use Norton's online backup and it seems to do a good job.
                                SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X