Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT June Chitchat

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Fire up Pinky, Howie, we're breaking Sally out and picking her up on our way to Vicky's party!

    Originally posted by Virginia View Post

    Did anyone read the book Me Before You? I know it was made into a movie, but I did not see the movie and did not talk to anyone who mentioned it....

    I enjoyed it, but keep thinking about it today.
    Here's an interesting critique of the book/movie, Virginia, is this was got you thinking?

    Only registered and activated users can see links., Click Here To Register...

    For others, note, article contains spoilers!
    Please Note that my posts may have been arbitrarily altered by a Moderator and may not reflect my original content.

    Per Mike Weins: "...the admin/mod team doesn't have to provide a forewarning/warning/mention about altering a members post. It doesn't matter if they fix a link, remove a link, fix a typo, or whatever...."

    Comment


      They have shown enough clips from the movie, I got a good idea what it was about, but was unaware he wanted to end his life. It looks like a good film, but I could see it could be a weepy film.

      Until you are in his shoes, it's hard to know what you would want to do. Not being able to walk is one thing, but not being able to do ANYTHING would be a hard burden.

      Howie gives the film two thumbs up, but bring a hanky.
      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

      Albert Einstein

      Comment


        Regarding Vicky's 4th of July party at the B&B, I think I remember that Cat has great taste in cat toys. Please bring a carton or two.

        I had a wicked night. Couldn't sleep. I had spasms pronating my legs inward and the dreaded curled toes. I slept until 11AM and the cats let me! At noon I realized that I had not taken my morning pills. And then I saw that I didn't take my 10 PM's last night. That explained everything.

        I'm good now. I've even been out to lunch w a friend. Just like a normal person.

        Hope everyone is well-ish.

        Sal you are kind of quiet.

        ANN
        There comes a time when silence is betrayal.- MLK

        Comment


          Ann, I have two meds I take twice a day, but I forgot a dose, and my body let me know. It was bad for a little while, but got better in a little while. I HATE being so dependent on drugs to make me feel normal, but so be it, they work!

          SALLY, front and center!
          "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

          Albert Einstein

          Comment


            For the 4th of July party at the B&B, I'll bring a couple cans of tennis balls for Taelor. He loves them and can carry 3 of them in his mouth at the same time. I'd have to bring many of them because after a while they get all slobbery and gross and it's nice to have a fresh, dry one.
            s
            Jendie
            I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

            Comment


              I could bring a couple of cats he might be able to hang onto, but on second thought, maybe I won't. I would hate for your dog to be injured!
              "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

              Albert Einstein

              Comment


                Oh, thanks Howie, but I don't think Taelor wants to catch them, it's all about the chase.
                s
                Jendie
                I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

                Comment


                  Originally posted by jendie View Post
                  I'd have to bring many of them because after a while they get all slobbery and gross and it's nice to have a fresh, dry one.
                  Oh, just have him give them to Howie!


                  Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                  Comment


                    This is so great, that we have this gathering place offered to us! The more slobbery dogs, the better. Vicky won't mind!

                    Yes, Sally--you have been quiet. Maybe one of these cats around here has your tongue?
                    SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2001-2004. Copaxone 2006-2009. Glatopa (glatiramer acetate = Copaxone) 12/20 - 3/19/24.

                    Comment


                      Day suuure havvve mineee, let go you two!
                      "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment


                        Another night of no sleep, but that's okay. I seem to have one night a week like that. I did officially give up, and made a pot of coffee.

                        I'm watching an old war movie, Anzio. It's silly like most are, just Hollywood. The Germans were fierce fighters, and we won that war because we were able to send an endless stream of men and equipment.

                        I am of German decent, but above all, I am an American, and would have fought that war like any American. Many brave men gave their lives for this country.
                        "Given the millions of billions of Earth-like planets, life elsewhere in the Universe without a doubt, does exist."

                        Albert Einstein

                        Comment


                          I'm here and fine. Thank you for missing me. WasnT gone long....LOL!
                          Love, Sally


                          "The best way out is always through". Robert Frost






                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Frog42 View Post
                            Oh, just have him give them to Howie!
                            Sure, and if he likes Howie enough, he'd even give him things like stinky socks if there were any available. My life with a 15 yr old son and a 10 yr old dog with a sock fetish.
                            s
                            Jendie
                            I've been a member of this forum during its different incarnations since I was dx in 9/98

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Howie View Post
                              I am of German decent
                              Oh nooooo, so am I! My mother was born in Munich.


                              Whatever happens around you, don't take it personally. Nothing other people do is because of you. It is because of themselves. -- Miguel Ruiz

                              Comment


                                Oh boy, now Vicky and Howie are some sort of cousins! That is really interesting - we can see how much alike they are.

                                Thanks Vicky for the welcome sign and all the party things you have put together for us.


                                Suze, that article had nothing to do with me continuing to think about the book. I did not see it in that light at all. This was not just a disabled person - he could move his head and a couple of fingers on one hand but not his arm. He could not even scratch his nose if it itched, must less care for ANY of his bodily functions. He had pneumonia on a fairly regular basis, bed sores a couple of times, and even though paralyzed his extremities burned so bad they would put them in cold water for him. Yes he was wealthy, but what good is money in a situation like that? Not much in my opinion. He had a male helper that came twice a day morning and night to check on him and change his bags (from bodily functions) and then they hired this girl to be something like a companion during the day. She fed him, kept everything neat and tended to that type care. At night after he was put to bed he was alone and helpless until the caregiver arrived the next morning to start the procedure over again. Yet the book was a good one. He and the girl both had a keen sense of humor. He did not go around saying I am going to kill myself. He had planned it out and the girl did not know it for a couple of months after she went to work there. He had the where withal to go to Switzerland in order for it to be done.

                                I think most people who are disabled are not disabled to the extent that he was. I wonder how many would want to live like that, but especially after having had such a successful and robust life. I remember a conversation on this forum many years ago when it was very active. People were discussing the fact that some of them were glad they had known they had MS at an early age. Their argument, at the time, was that because they had lived with it from an earlier age they had adapted better than people who found they had it at a later age. My comment to that post way back then was "I didn't want it one minute longer than I had to have it".

                                I do not believe that most people who read this book (haven't seen film) would find it to be denigrating to the disabled. I read it for entertainment and that is what I got from it. I plan to read the follow up "After You".
                                Virginia

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X